10 of the World’s Most Dangerous Foods

Safe handling and preparation of food are very important to ensure food safety. Any type of contaminated food could actually be harmful and life-threatening. There are so many foods in the world that require extreme care during preparation. This several foods can cause illness or death.


1. Mushrooms


The Death Cap mushrooms are known as the deadliest mushrooms in the world. It is a poisonous fungus among the 12 deadly poisonous mushroom species in the world. If you consume even a small amount of a death cap mushrooms can kill you. Poisonous mushrooms usually have properties like white grills, round balls, bright colors, umbrella-like caps at the base level, and small size.


2. Honey


Honey is the sweetest treat, and is liked by everyone. Naturally, it contains a poisonous toxin called pyrrolizidine alkaloids. Honey must go through a process of pasteurization in which all the toxins are eliminated. Unpasteurized honey is very dangerous and should not be consumed. As it can lead to things like dizziness, headaches, vomiting, and weakness. Avoid feeding honey even a tiny taste to babies under the age of 1 year.


3. Red kidney beans

Red kidney beans

Red kidney beans are good, as they are high in fiber, protein, minerals, and vitamins. Beans in undercooked form or raw are also rich in phytohaemagglutinin. It can damage the gut wall and even can prevent it from absorbing nutrients properly. If you want to consume Red kidney beans make sure that you soak them for a number of hours and later boil them for at least 10 minutes. If the dry beans are cooked for less than 10 minutes at any temperature can actually increase the toxicity.


4. Ackee fruit

Ackee fruit

Ackee fruit is the most delicious but can be dangerous. Never open an ackee fruit yourself allowed it to open naturally on the tree. When the fruit is fully ripe it opens by itself. Only the yellow parts of the ackee should be consumed. The black seeds or pink flesh are highly toxic. An unripe ackee contains a poison called hypoglycin.


5. Rhubarb Leaves

Rhubarb Leaves

Rhubarb is a bright vegetable. Leaves of rhubarb contain oxalic acid. Consuming small amounts of improperly prepared foods can cause a number of diseases like tremors, kidney stones, diarrhea, vomiting, burning in the mouth and throat, bloody urine, and breathing difficulties. If you eat Rhubarb leaves 11 pounds or more then that will lead you to death.


6. Elderberries


Elderberries are often present in pies, jams, supplements, syrups wines, and teas. They are actually safe to eat if Elderberries are properly cooked or fully ripe. Its twigs, leaves, and seeds contain fatal levels of the cyanide-producing glycoside. If they are not strained properly or fully ripe when it is been processed, they can cause vomiting, nausea, and even severe diarrhea. If Elderberries are consumed in large quantities will lead to death.


7. Green Potato

Green Potato

Have you ever heard that potatoes if not consumed at the right time can be dangerous? Yes, you heard absolutely right. Green potatoes contain toxic elements called solanine, which may lead to poisoning by affecting the digestive system, and nervous. Even the sprouted potato should not be eaten. As they contain Glycoalkaloids. If the potato is left for more time then there is a chance of increasing the toxic elements. It can definitely make you sick.


8. Fugu


Fugu is also known as pufferfish. Do you know that it can be poisonous if it is not cooked exactly right? Fugu is banned in the United States. A single fish has enough poison to kill around 30 people. Pufferfish or Fugu intestines, liver, and ovaries contain tetrodotoxin. It is said to be more poisonous than cyanide.


9. Sannakji


Sannakji is a Korean dish, it is a raw live octopus. This dish is meant to be eaten alive when it is still squirming. The octopus tentacles should chew properly before they stick to the roof of the mouth. If in case tentacles got stuck to the mouth and throat they can choke to death.


10. Hakarl


Hakarl is also known as a rotten shark. It is a traditional Icelandic dish. Do you know Greenland shark doesn’t have a urinary tract? All the waste gets filtered through their flesh and skin. The Hakarl is dry for between three and five months. You should be careful when eating Greenland sharks or Hakarl. If in case the meat is not been properly dried or soaked it can spoil health. The chemicals in the fish are so concentrated that just a few bites of uncured fresh meat can cause neurological effects, intestinal distress, convulsions, and even death can occur.